IT manufacturers and distributors are speaking out more and more about the importance of a structured marketing program for VARs and IT resellers.
Here are the key points from a recent Ingram Micro interview with ChannelPro:
- A plan is as simple as four things. It’s what, who, how, and when. (VCM agrees and it all starts with WHY?)
- Define your targets within your audience/influence
- Find out where your target is learning online and focus your marketing there
- Hold yourself accountable to a timeline
- It’s critical to brand and differentiate your expertise—don’t “race to the bottom of a price”
- The majority of SMBs do NOT use price as their first criterion—relationship comes FIRST
- Don’t try to be all things to all people. To be an expert, limit what you talk about.
- Keep it simple and just focus on your customers, decision makers, and influencers.
- It’s not an option to say you don’t have time. Hire an agency like VAR Channel Marketing!
- Marketing doesn’t happen as a one off. You have to consistently market.
- Start with your website and perfect your brand messaging there. Make sure it’s clear.
- VARs seem obsessed with lead generation, but content and the four W’s must come first.
- VCM customers that invest the time to develop who, what, why and take a holistic, authentic and consistent approach to marketing have the best results by far! Marketing in a vacuum simply does not work.